Being a Terry Mentor is a big responsibility! You are responsible for creating a wonderful experience for the new Terry freshmen class. The first year of college is vital to establishing a strong connection with the University of Houston and the UH Terry Scholar Student Organization. This is why we, the UH Terry Officers, want current UH Terry Scholars who are committed to creating a positive experience for the new Terry freshman class. Refer to the Mentor Guidelines listed below to ensure you, as a Terry Mentor, are doing everything you need to make this a great year for our Terry freshmen at the University of Houston and the UH Terry Scholar Student Organization.
1. Strongly encourage mentees to attend Terry events and come to general meetings, volunteer events, socials, play/support intramural sports, etc.
2. Contact mentees frequently during the first week of school and help them with any questions/issues they may have.
3. Send mentees reminders for important dates and deadlines such as: drop dates for classes, dates & times for Terry events, Terry surveys, course registration, housing selection, etc.
4. Offer advice on studying, homework, time management, how to handle classes, campus/dorm life, and advising/tutoring resources if necessary.
5. Encourage them to get involved in other organizations on campus.
6. Check in with them throughout the entire year. Contact them every week or so and ask them about their classes, tests, homework, how they're doing, if they need anything, their health/nutrition/exercise, etc.
7. Make an effort to see them face-to-face every now and then.